Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I am borg.

Yesterday was cool.

After work, I went home and played with the notion of putting MS Vista x64 on my home computer--the core of my computing when I am not at work. I already have it on my laptop, and it's awesome. But I don't sync my PDA with my laptop. I don't use my laptop as a file server, nor do I use it for the games. It is where I work on websites and where my research takes place. I have thought about putting x64 Vista on it all day. I wanted to backup my computer in case the bits hit the fan.

Then I panicked. I didn't even Ghost the drive yet and I freaked out about not being able to use my PDA. I mean, if I couldn't sync my PDA--my life would be a mess. I am not exaggerating in the least--my brain can be used for telling me when to breathe and when my heart should beat. My PDA does the rest. So, instead of the whole Vista movement, I decided to upload my latest images (including the kick boxing pictures) up to my Picasa web account.

Afterwards, I cleaned up my guinea pig's cage and put him in the car. He was going for a ride with me to Mission Valley. I was to meet up with my fiancée and Billy for some Wahoo food--which was not bad. A little on the pricey side, but good.

Now on to my friend Billy. My good friend Billy. He caters to my I-want-to-talk-about-technology side of my brain. I can do that with my other friends, yes, but not very many friends can I sit with and, instead of watching some cool DVD, sit back and watch the Apple keynote and clap hands and yell as if watching some type of football game. Geeky? Yes--you have a problem with that?

We also went on a mini journey through the maze that is his apartment complex to simmer in the jacuzzi and I listened to him discuss binaural sets of frequencies that the brain can use to do certain tasks. We topped the evening with some diet Pepsi with lime and some weird, 1970's spaceship hypnotism and meditation. (*Have a confused look on your face? I guess you just had to be there.*)

It was good, clean fun. I am a nerd that enjoys insightful tidbits of useless information and hanging out with good people.

Anyhow, the reason I write this "yesterday review" is because it dawned on me at work today that my life really doesn't begin until I clock out for the day. I am noticing the same sentiment from many of my colleagues. It's not that the jobs are bad. It's just that, regardless of how much school I went to to get to where I am at in my career, it doesn't define me. I guess it's good that way.

I am not some engineer toiling away at work even when I am at home (or should be home). I don't want to have those types of habits, either. It's not something I want to instill in my kids (when I have them in the future) and I don't want it to steal time away from the people I love and the things I enjoy.

If I could guess, the majority of the people in America would state their job and position when prompted with the question, "What are you?" It could be the way our society rears us. I mean, how many kids do you suppose say that, when they grow up, they want to be loving husband/wife and a great father/mother and go to church and be able to cook really good spaghetti? You'll usually hear, lawyer/astronaut/doctor/paleontologist. I would be amused when I hear "I don't know. Probably fat and hating my cubicle dwelling job."

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate my job. I am just saying that many people seem to fall into that template. My job is cool. Yes, it does suck me into the cubicle-dimension. You have your bad days. But you also do have your good days. I have also had jobs where I've enjoyed every moment of it. It certainly didn't feel like work. But the career I have now pays the bills. And it's one of those jobs that can pay larger bills (read: it pays well). So I'll keep it for now. But there's no way that it's indicative of who I am.

So, what do you do and what do you want to be when you grow up?

technorati tags:, , , ,

Blogged with Flock

1 Comments:

Blogger Spencer said...

Oh--there's no denying that there's so much more to you. I am simply stating that the part I interact with that evening seemed to cater more to my techy side.

Interesting point, however, as the focus of this blog entry was that there's so much more to people than simply what other typically perceive.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home