Monday, September 25, 2006

Spoiled kids suck.

If you read the other post, you can see what I did this past weekend.

Well, while preparing for the trip up to Murrieta, my fiancee and I decided that it would behoove us to use this time for working on our wedding website. As my entire design sit on the hard drive of my Mac Mini, I decided that it would be good to bring it along and work on it up there, tweaking the design and adding content and stuff. Since it was a generation 1 mini, which did not have Wifi built-in, I was trying to configure my 802.11b bridge to work with the Mac. After more than an hour, and needing to rush to hit up Costco for some gas, I had a total and absolutely crazed technology fit.

I was violent against that useless crappy networking bridge and on the fence about taking my Mac Mini with me. It was weird. I was about to throw away the bridge in a rage, but instead haphazardly took my Windows laptop and left my Mac disconnected at home. I drove away recklessly (for me, at least) sucking up extra gas to get to the Costco off Market. The entire way, I was complaining the ear off my fiancee about how I needed a Mac laptop. I actually felt that I needed it so I could design on the go. I felt better after I got more food in me (care of Ikea), bought some large picture frames and had my trusty woman at my side.

Well, after leaving San Diego for the weekend, I sat like a lazy slob in front of my parent's huge HDTV absorbing the Discovery channel, some food network, and VH1. Then I saw part of some show that pissed me off. It's about these stuck up little spoiled kids who get whatever their little heart desires. This one girl got this R&B singer for her birthday to attend her party as well as a large SUV and America's first Eclipse Spyder. I wasn't jealous--seriously--I just have this soapbox about what little kids really need and how spoiled youngsters grow up to be spoiled older pricks who get whatever their grown up plastic surgery if-you-can-even-call-it-one heart. You know the type. The ones you just want to punch in the face.

Then this morning, on the way to work, I had this weird thought. I actually saw parallels between my behavior and the little spoiled kids' behavior. It was disgusting. I was a little brat on Saturday. I threw a fit like a chubby kid who can't have another Oreo cookie.

In retrospect, I couldn't believe how insane it was for me to get all crazy about not having a Mac laptop. I mean, I am perhaps the poster boy for technological excess. I have a laptop dedicated to my HDTV, with a dual-tuner and a large hard drive hidden away in the cabinet. Then I have an old Dell laptop under my bed. Then there's the nice x64 red Ferrari laptop that has provided me with mobile computer PC happiness. Then there's the two laptops I have dedicate to some Stanford Folding. Not to mention the sweet PC setup with three LCD displays connected. And then there's the little Mac sitting, never giving me any problems, atop a RAID of external hard drives.

So now that I am simmered down from that whole thing, have my opinions on what I really need (technologically speaking) changed?

Not really. Well, sort of, but not really.

For now, sitting at my desk to get all my Mac needs catered to will have to do. No coffee and Mac laptop love while sitting like a bohemian at a Starbucks. No pleasing cool white apple logo illuminating my lap while kids are ringing the doorbell for some Halloween candy.

What will happen, however, is that I will delay my purchase. I can afford to get one right now, but I think this technological discipline is a step in the right direction for my techno-lust affliction.

Anyway, I have to wait until OSX Leopard comes out, not to mention the iLife 7 suite and the Core2Duo-based mobile processors.

I mean, can you imagine the fit I would throw if I buy one now only to have better tech stuffed into the matte aluminum laptop one month later?

2 Comments:

Blogger Spencer said...

Yeah...but she wants a Mac laptop, too.

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a cookie for you little boy if you stop crying. Now wipe your eyes and tell Auntie Lucy and Uncle Jeff whats wrong honey.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home