Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I read that Dell is exiting the PDA business.

Those of you that know me (and by that, I mean have eaten with me, watched a movie, came over, hung out), have seen that I carry something with me everywhere I go.

That would be my PDA. I have used PDAs since the late 90's and it has become my brain. I no longer need to remember anything.

Unfortunately, I just read that Dell is killing the PDA division. To add, HP's PDA lineup has been dwindling. To add, smartphones have come out that try to replace the need for a individual organizer.

The PDA's end is coming.

That's unfortunate, and let me tell you why.

The PDA's that Dell came out with did so much more than the organizer portion of a smartphone. With a large enough memory card (CF or SD), I used it to watch my Media Center movies while traveling. It also had wifi-built in on a VGA screen so I can browse HTML websites fairly nicely. Recently, I used the PDA as a GPS to travel across California. Not to mention the games and the fact that you can do some small word processing and work with spreadsheets.


Unfortunately, I read somewhere (I think it was Palminfocenter.com) that about 10 percent of all PDA users use all the features that PDAs have. I am one of them, and lament the death of the PDA. There's just so many things that it can do that a cellphone wouldn't be good for.

PDA's have its place in the pockets of many of us. They fit that large gap between a cell phone and a laptop.

Here's hoping that it's use will be realized before it really is too late.

technorati tags:, , ,

Blogged with Flock

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home